Vegan apple pie is a great way to put apples to use. This crumble-topped vegan apple pie recipe is ready in a jiffy and uses nothing but all-natural plant-based ingredients – no animal products involved.
Sustainably Sourcing your Apples
Apples are in season from August to November. Utopia recommends making the sustainable choice of buying locally-sourced apples to avoid long transportation routes. Head over to your local farmers market or visit an apple orchard and pick for yourself. Who knows, maybe you even have an apple dry out back you can use to fill up a crate of apples with for your tasty vegan apple pie.
No matter where your apples come from, organic quality is key. Only this way can you be sure your apples are free of pesticides.
Although apple season comes to a close by the time around the time Thanksgiving decorations start coming out, apples can be stored for quite a while if stored correctly. Check out our guide Storing Apples: Proper Apple Storage Techniques to learn how to keep your apples crisp and fresh for longer – even up to a couple months.
There are endless ways to put apples to use in the kitchen – creatively and sustainably. How about homemade applesauce, smoothies or apple jam? These are but a few tasty seasonal treats you can whip up. But with Thanksgiving around the corner, this seasonal favorite should come as no surprise: apples also go great in pie.
We’ll show you how to prepare your own vegan apple pie in no time at all. The recipe’s remarkably quick prep time makes it a great choice for those unplanned visits or when you’re simply in a bit of a rush. This apples pie recipe is also completely free of animal products – not that any of your non-vegan guest would bat an eye.
Vegan Apple Pie: The Ingredients
The quantities of these following ingredient for your vegan apple pie have been measured for baking in a springform pan. If you plan on using a large baking tray, you’ll need around twice the amount listed for the following ingredients:
For the bottom crust you’ll need:
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 10 tbsp. plant-based margarine
- 1 2/3 cups flour
You’ll need these ingredients for the pie filling:
- 5 apples (give or take)
- 1 package of vanilla sugar
- 1 2/3 cups of homemade applesauce
To make the topping:
- 1 2/3 cups of flour
- 7 ½ tbsp. plant-based margarine
- ½ cup of sugar
Vegan Apple Pie: The Recipe
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, margarine, flour together in a bowl and mix together thoroughly to make a smooth dough.
- Grease the baking tray or springform pan with a bit of margarine.
- Line the pan with the dough for the bottom crust and stretch so it covers the edges of the pan evenly.
- Wash and peel the apples.
- Seed the apples and cut either into slices or dice. No need to throw away the apple peels – these you can reuse in a tea or as crisps once dried.
- Combine the apple slices with cinnamon, vanilla sugar and apple sauce.
- Fill the apple mixture into the bottom of the pan and distribute evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine margarine, sugar and a pinch of salt and mix together to make the crumbles.
- Spread the crumbles over the top of the pie evenly.
- Back at 355°F / 180°C for around an hour.
Bon appétit! We hoped you’ve enjoyed this tasty vegan apple pie recipe. Let us know how it turned out or whether you’d make any changes to the recipe in the comments!
If you’re already know you’re bound to be busy in the kitchen this fall, feel free to have a gander at some of our additional seasonal recipes. Our Easy Bread Recipe is about as easy as pie – it’s simple as bread recipes get and is ready in under an hour. DIY Pumpkin Smoothies are another seasonal favorite at Utopia.
Need something to do with leftover vegetables and vegetable scraps? Look no further. We’ve got you covered with this comprehensive guide on sustainable kitchen reuse strategies: Reuse Vegetable Scraps: Skip the Trash and put Food back on your Plate. Make yourself a yummy homemade pesto or homemade vegetable broth – the options are endless.
- Going vegan: 5 Simple Steps Towards a Vegan Diet
- Plastic-Free Shopping: 3 Easy Tips for Waste Reduction
- How to Make Pizza Dough: A Simple and Easy Recipe
This article was translated from German by Evan Binford. You can view the original here: Veganer Apfelkuchen: Ein schnelles Rezept mit Apfelmus.** Links to retailers are partially affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?