Vegan asparagus soup is a delicious dish that is light yet creamy. You can serve it as an appetizer or on its own. We have two recipes for soup made with green and white asparagus.
Asparagus soup is not only incredibly tasty, you can also make it using ingredients that would otherwise go to waste. Below, we’ll show you how to reuse the water in which the asparagus was boiled, and how to make a tasty vegan soup from asparagus peels.
Note: Always make sure you buy asparagus from local producers and only when it is in season in your region.
How to Make Vegan Asparagus Soup From Vegetable Water
If you’ve boiled fresh asparagus, you’ll have plenty of “vegetable water” left over. This water is a great ingredient for making a delicious vegan asparagus soup. So, next time you boil asparagus, you could try to make the recipe below, instead of tossing the water.
Per 4 cups of asparagus water, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3/4 cup oat or soy milk
- 2 tbsp. of vegan margarine
- 2-3 tbsp. of flour
- salt and pepper
- fresh chives
How to prepare vegan asparagus soup
- Melt margarine in a pot, do not let it boil.
- Add some flour and stir continuously until you get a solid mass.
- Stir in the asparagus water and vegan milk.
- If you want the soup to be more creamy, add some more flour dissolved in vegan milk or water.
- Bring to a boil and finish with some salt and pepper. Top with chives just before serving.
Tip: Instead of using asparagus water, you can also boil fresh asparagus and then add it to the soup later. This variation is also very rich and creamy in taste. Boil asparagus, set aside, then follow the first four steps described in the recipe above. Finally, cut the spears into small pieces, add them to the soup, then puree everything using an immersion hand blender or food processor. Add salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.
Recipe for Vegan Soup Made From White Asparagus Peels
Another way to make vegan asparagus soup is to cook leftover white asparagus peels. If this variety isn’t available in your region, we recommend using the recipe above because green asparagus shouldn’t be peeled before cooking, meaning that you won’t have any leftover scraps.
- Peels from 1 lb asparagus
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2-3 tsp. vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup oat or soy milk
- pepper, nutmeg, and chervil
- Wash the asparagus peels.
- Place the peels in a pot and add salt, sugar, and lemon juice. Pour enough water into the pot so everything is covered.
- Bring the water to a boil, turn down the heat and let the peels simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Sift the soup through a strainer and into a large pot. You can now dispose of the peels.
- Heat margarine in a separate pot, add the flour, stir continuously for about a minute.
- Slowly pour in the asparagus water. Keep stirring to keep the flour from clumping up.
- Add salt, then bring to a boil again.
- Finally, stir in the vegan milk alternative of your choice and add spices.
You can serve your vegan aparagus soup as is or garnish it with some grilled asparagus spears and chervil.
Note: Asparagus contains bitter substances that are especially strong beneath the peel and the bitter taste is released when overcooked. So, to avoid the bitter taste from becoming too strong, make sure you don’t cook the peels for too long.underlined orange are partially partner links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org, because we will receive a small part of the sales proceeds. More info.
Do you like this post?