Why use store-bought sauces when you can easily make your own? Learn how to make a delicious and healthy vegan BBQ sauce in five easy steps.
BBQ sauce goes great alongside many foods. However, this store-bought sauce is hardly ever made with healthy ingredients. Most BBQ sauces are made with high fructose corn syrup, and if you are lucky enough to find one that is high-quality and organic, it will most likely be very pricy. The best solution? Make your own vegan BBQ sauce – it’s healthier, and there are no additives or excessive amounts of sugar. In this article we’ll show you how to make a delicious vegan BBQ sauce from scratch, which is better for your health… and for your wallet!
How To Make Vegan BBQ Sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups tomato purée
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup organic brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- In a saucepan, fry the onion and garlic in a drizzle of olive oil, until slightly caramelized.
- Add the tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, and ground coriander. Mix until combined.
- Transfer your mixture into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, set it aside and let it cool. Enjoy!
Once your vegan BBQ sauce has cooled down completely, you can store it in a jar with a lid. It will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Vegan BBQ Sauce & Other Vegan Recipe Ideas
Check out some of our other plant-based recipes that would go great with your homemade vegan BBQ sauce:
- Vegan roast: it’s not only great for the holidays, but also for any other special gathering throughout the year! Make some homemade vegan turkey or some lentil-walnut vegan roast for the next family gathering and serve it with some vegan BBQ sauce on the side.
- Chickpea tofu: if you’re looking for an alternative to traditional tofu, this one fits the bill. Try adding your vegan BBQ sauce for some extra flavor.
- Homemade black bean burger: this high-protein vegan burger is made using all natural ingredients and would definitely pair well with some vegan BBQ sauce!
- Tofu: this all-time favorite for vegans and vegetarians can be very plain unless you season it a lot. Learn how to season tofu to make it tastier, and serve it with some vegan BBQ sauce for an extra kick!
- Tempeh: This high-protein vegan alternative can be cooked in many ways – including tempeh bacon. Check out our article on how to make tempeh, and add some of BBQ sauce on the side for a twist.
- Is Sriracha Vegan? It’s Complicated.
- Vegan Fish Sauce: The No-Fish Sauce You Can Make at Home
- Is Beer Vegan? What Vegans Need to Know
Do you like this post?