Fresh ginger can most definitely be eaten raw. Not only does eating raw ginger have a number of health benefits, but it is really tasty as well!
Not only can you safely eat raw ginger, it is actually really good for you. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is abundant in antioxidants and nutrients, making it a great natural source for treatments.
What Are the Health Benefits to Eating Raw Ginger?
Because of its many medicinal properties, eating raw ginger is a very popular remedy for a number of illnesses:
- Nausea and vomiting: People undergoing morning sickness or surgery commonly turn to raw ginger to ease their nausea.
- Fighting the flu: Ginger can inhibit the growth of bacteria, so is helpful in lowering the risk of infection.
- Weight Loss: Research has found that anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants help with some side effects of obesity, aiding with weight loss efforts.
- Indigestion: Ginger works really well at emptying out the stomach, and as such is a useful remedy for when you are suffering from indigestion.
- Menstrual Pain: Any woman or girl suffering from menstrual pain should take ginger to ease the discomfort. Pain relief will be most effective if ginger is taken at the beginning of the menstrual cycle.
- Acid Reflux: Take raw ginger if you are suffering from heartburn. Ginger prevents the production of excess acidity in the stomach and will bring relief to your tummy.
Because of its many health-promoting properties, consuming ginger — raw or not — is also one of the ways to naturally boost your immune system.
Can You Eat Too Much Raw Ginger — Are There Drawbacks?
Generally speaking, there are no health risks to eating reasonable amounts of raw ginger. Just like with all foods, however, raw ginger should not be eaten in excess. If you’re looking to treat an ailment, please make sure to check with your physician first.
How Much Raw Ginger Can You Eat?
If you are eating raw ginger, it is recommended to take up to 2 grams of ginger three times a day. Otherwise, up to 4 cups of ginger tea can be drunk every day.
Ways to Eat and Drink Raw Ginger
Ginger can be eaten raw, but this might not be to everybody’s taste. Other ways to consume raw ginger include ginger and garlic tea, ginger tea, and ginger water, or you could use fresh ginger in your cooking. You can also go down the sweet route and add fresh ginger to your golden milk or learn how to make candied ginger at home. If fresh ginger isn’t your thing, you can also eat it in dried, powdered, or liquid form.
Did you know that for more of these cases you don’t have to peel your ginger root?
- Growing Ginger: How to Grow Ginger at Home
- Benefits of Ginger: Uses, Health Effects and Recipes
- Rose Hip Tea: Benefits and Preparation
Do you like this post?