These crostini recipes are a delicious and creative way to use up bread and veggies. Check out our guide to vegan crostini appetizers using fresh, seasonal ingredients.
The word crostini is Italian, meaning “little crusts.” Traditional crostini recipes start with a bite-sized slice of crusty bread brushed with olive oil and sea salt, toasted or baked and grilled. They are the perfect party appetizers and a reliable crowd-pleaser.
Bruschetta is the most popular form of crostini, but you can top it with any seasonal, fresh ingredients you have on hand. Follow this guide for 10 mouthwatering (and vegan) crostini appetizers.
Basic Crostini Recipe
This crostini recipe covers the basics you need to put together quick crostini appetizers — scroll down for some fancy options!
- 1 crusty baguette
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Generous pinch flaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a large baking tray with a reusable baking sheet.
- Slice your baguette lengthways into ½-inch sized pieces. Brush each side with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Spread the bread slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 6 to 10 minutes or until they are golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle over with extra sea salt if desired. Transfer to a serving dish ready to be topped with tasty spreads and veggies.
Bruschetta is a classic topping for crostinis. For these delicious vegan crostini appetizers, combine fresh chopped tomatoes with fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and cracked black pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over your slices of crostini, and enjoy!
Bruschetta is best enjoyed during the summer when tomatoes are in season. So for the tastiest bruschetta, buy seasonally and locally or grow your own tomatoes in pots.
2. Avocado Smash Crostini Recipe
We all know and love avocado on toast, but did you know that it works just as well on crostini? Simply smash a ripe avocado with fresh lemon juice, sea salt and fresh herbs and add it to the top.
If you love olives, you know how delicious tapenade is paired with crusty bread. To enjoy this olive spread even more, make it as part of a crostini recipe for a delicious vegan appetizer.
4. Roasted Eggplant Spread Crostini Recipe
For a smooth and smoky crostini appetizer topping, roast or bake up some eggplants. Combine the flesh with olive oil, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, salt, and pepper for a creamy and sophisticated snack spread.
5. Pea and Mint Smash
When spring hits, this fresh pea and mint crostini recipe is the perfect appetizer for a picnic or party. Fresh, seasonal green peas combined with freshly picked mint and lemon make for a tangy and bright vegan topping.
Hummus is the hero of vegan spreads, and this is no exception. Any variety of hummus can adds a powerful oomph to your basic crostini recipe. Consider homemade hummus, or check out our recipe for cauliflower hummus.
7. Cashew Cheese and Radish Crostini Recipe
Vegan crostinis can still be cheesy. Spread vegan cashew cream cheese on your crostini and top it with crunchy radishes and fresh herbs. This crostini recipe is sure to please even the pickiest crowds.
8. Creamy Mushrooms
Chopped-up mushrooms blended with olive oil, garlic and fresh parsley, rosemary, and oregano make for a simple and tasty spread on top of any crunchy bread.
9. White Bean Spread Crostini Recipe
You can’t go wrong with a white bean spread for a smooth and light snack. For a homemade white bean spread, replace the chickpeas in our hummus recipe with your favorite white beans. Extra lemon and seasonal fresh herbs sprinkled over these delicious finger foods will never go amiss!
10. Roasted Peppers
When peppers are in season, there is little more delicious than freshly roasted peppers — and they’re a mouthwatering upgrade for any crostini recipe. Their smoky-sweet flavor and aroma will have everyone fighting over your crostini appetizers.
- Easy Vegan Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Briam: Recipe for Traditional Greek Roasted Vegetables
- The Vegan Food Pyramid: 6 Steps to a Balanced Vegan Diet
Do you like this post?