Invigorate your senses with a vegan iced matcha green tea latte. This quick and easy summertime alternative to coffee can easily be made at home with our simple recipe.
One of the most beloved drinks at Starbucks, especially in the summer, is an iced matcha latte. You can easily ask for it to be made using your favorite plant-based milk substitute, or you can make it yourself at home and avoid the plastic cup.
We’ve previously discussed the differences between matcha and green tea and the benefits of decaf green tea, but for the purposes of this article, we’ll focus on the matcha powder itself. While both ingredients are derived from the same plant, matcha powder is preferred for this recipe. So, without further ado, let’s get started on our vegan iced matcha green tea latte recipe.
Vegan Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte Recipe
Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- 1½ – 2 tsp of ground matcha powder
- 2 tsp of hot water (to mix with matcha)
- ¼ cup of room temperature water
- ¾ cup of any plant-based milk
- A handful of ice cubes
- 1 tsp of any vegan honey alternative to sweeten, optional
- Combine the matcha powder with hot water. Make sure everything is well-mixed by stirring with a whisk, fork, or spoon.
- Next, add the room temperature water and whisk again until everything is smooth.
- The matcha drink should be served over lots of ice. Add in your favorite non-dairy plant-based milk and mix well.
- If you prefer your beverages on the sweet side, add in your optional sweetener.
- Serve and savor. Enjoy!
In order to make your iced matcha green tea latte more environmentally friendly and cruelty-free, simply switch from regular milk to plant-based milk, as dairy farms contribute greatly to global greenhouse gas emissions, thus using plant-based milk instead is a great eco-friendly initiative.
There is a wide variety of plant-based milk to choose from, and you can easily make your own. We’ve got recipes for some of the best ones:
The best non-dairy milk in terms of froth, texture, and flavor is subjective, but each option has its own environmental benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to do your research before settling on one.
Some plant-based milks are sold as “barista” varieties, which are formulated to foam better when heated. Generally speaking, iced matcha green tea lattes use steamed milk to create the signature frothy texture. It’s not as tough as you may think to achieve the same result with vegan milk.
- Golden Matcha Latte Recipe (Vegan)
- Iced Dirty Chai Latte: An Easy Vegan Recipe
- Oat Milk vs. Soy Milk: Which is Better for You and the Environment?
Do you like this post?