Commercial dental hygiene products are packaged in single-use plastic, and often contain ingredients you don’t really want or need. With these DIY mouthwash recipes, you can keep your mouth feeling fresh naturally.
Many dentists agree that if you brush, floss, and clean your tongue properly and regularly, using mouthwash isn’t strictly necessary. But using an all-natural DIY mouthwash is still a great way to give your oral hygiene a mini-boost and to keep your breath fresh. Plus, it lets you skip the plastic packaging and suspicious chemicals.
1. Sage + Salt DIY Mouthwash
Sage tea on its own has numerous health benefits, and saltwater is often used as a way to kill bacteria and reduce oral inflammation. By combining the two, you end up with a great anti-bacterial DIY mouthwash made from all-natural ingredients.
- 5 oz. filtered water
- 1 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 6 organic sage leaves
- Place the sage leaves in a glass bottle.
- Dissolve salt in 5 oz. of boiling water.
- Once dissolved, pour the water inside the bottle and shake gently to combine. Be careful not to burn yourself!
- Let cool.
How to Use:
- Swish with approximately 1 tbsp of DIY mouthwash for about 10-15 seconds.
- Use daily after brushing your teeth.
2. Herbal Breath Freshener
If you’re looking for a natural rinse to freshen your breath, look no further. Cloves help fight bad bacteria in your mouth and can freshen your breath. Combine them with a few ingredients from your herb garden and you’ve got the perfect DIY mouthwash.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp fresh mint leaves
- 9 whole cloves
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- Bring the two cups of water to a boil on the stove.
- Add the mint leaves, cloves, and rosemary and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let your DIY mouthwash cool and then store in a resealable glass bottle.
How to Use:
- Swish about a tablespoon of mouthwash in your mouth for 10-15 seconds before spitting it out.
- Use when you want to freshen your breath, and make more when necessary.
Tip: If you’re looking for a really quick DIY mouthwash, apple cider vinegar can be used to rid your mouth of offensive odors like onions and garlic. Simply add a splash to a glass of water and swish around your mouth for instantly fresher breath.** Links to retailers are partially affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?