It's so easy to make this tasty vegan apple crumble. Simply stew the fruit with sugar, crumble together the other ingredients and add chopped walnuts for a nuttier taste. Enjoy!
This easy vegan apple crumble takes less than ten minutes to prepare and only 25 minutes to bake. It is a delicious and warming dessert and can be served with vegan cream, vegan nice cream or custard. Replacing regular margarine with margarine (or vegan butter) makes this recipe 100% vegan. The crumble is extra crispy due to the oats and chopped walnuts, and a teaspoon of mixed spice gives it a flavorful kick that combines well with the sweet fruit base.
The rhubarb gives a slightly tart taste to the sweet filling, making it a perfect combination. It is worth considering when these fruits are in season in the US. For example, apples and rhubarb are in season at the end of the summer. Alternatively, a summer crumble could be made using any berries such as raspberries, blackberries, strawberries or blueberries. Peaches would make another sweet summer crumble filling and they would taste delicious served with vegan cream. Remember to try to source locally-grown, organic fruit to reduce your carbon footprint.
Keep reading to find out how to make an easy vegan apple crumble.
How to Make Easy Vegan Apple Crumble
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups chopped apples and rhubarb
- 2 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup porridge oats
- 1 tsp. mixed spices (of your choice)
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 3 tbsp. + 2 tsp. vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Wash and peel the apples and wash the rhubarb. Chop both into one-inch pieces. Be sure to save and use your leftover apple peels.
- Place fruit in a medium-sized saucepan and stir in granulated sugar and water.
- Cover and simmer on low heat until the fruit goes soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and drain off any excess liquid. Place fruit in an oven-proof dish.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together oats, mixed spices and flour. Rub in vegan margarine using your fingertips, until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the chopped walnuts and brown sugar and mix well. Spread the crumble mixture over the top of the stewed fruit.
- Bake at 320°F for about 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with vegan cream, vegan nice cream or custard.
- Vegan Apple Pie Recipe: A Seasonal Favorite
- Apple Frying Pan Cake Recipe: How to Make Cake in a Skillet
- Rhubarb: 3 Savory All-Vegan Recipes
- Make These Baked Apples in the Oven for a Cozy Night In
Do you like this post?