We’ll share our easy and delicious recipe for apple frying pan cake. You don’t need an oven to bake: All you need for this cake recipe is a skillet on the stove top.
Frying pan cake is a good alternative when your oven is on the fritz, but you can also use this recipe when camping or even at a backyard barbecue. In addition to the ingredients, all you need is a stovetop and a 10-inch frying pan with a suitable lid. Alternatively, you can use two smaller pans, or simply halve the recipe to bake a mini apple skillet cake.
Recipe: Apple Frying Pan Cake
In order to make a frying pan cake you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 large apple
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 cup milk, or vegan milk alternative
- ⅓ cup unflavored oil
- Icing sugar (to taste)
How to Make Apple Frying Pan Cake
- Peel and core the apple, then cut into wedges or cubes and add to a bowl. Don’t let those apple peels go to waste: 4 Clever Ways to Use Leftover Apple Peels.
- Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juice over the apples, then add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Grease your pan with a little oil or margarine and line it with the apples.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl.
- Pour in your milk (or vegan milk alternative) and oil and mix until the batter is smooth. Optional: add some lemon zest to your mix!
- Turn on the stove and steam the apples for one or two minutes.
- Pour the batter evenly over the apples and put the lid on the pan.
- Bake the apple frying pan cake for ten minutes over medium heat and then another ten to fifteen minutes over low heat.
- Remove the lid, place a large plate or rack on top of the pan, and flip the skillet cake over.
- Optional: sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar to finish.
If you want to customize this recipe, feel free to add ground or chopped nuts, cinnamon or raisins! When purchasing apples for your frying pan cake, be sure to choose regional products. Not only do they taste so much better, they also have much shorter transport routes!
For more ways to use apples, check out our other recipes:
- Unsweetened Applesauce: Easy Sugar-Free Recipe
- Vegan Apple Pie Recipe: A Seasonal Favorite
- Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar: Two Recipes
This article has been translated from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can find the original here: Kuchen aus der Pfanne: So gehts auch ohne Backofen** Links to retailers are partially affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?