Vegan custard, or crème anglaise, is the perfect accompaniment to all your favorite hot desserts. It only takes 10 minutes and uses five simple ingredients — easy!
Custard is a creamy and slightly sweet dessert sauce that hails from Britain. It can be served over fruit, sponges, pies or eaten alone. In the US, this comforting and warming dish is known as crème anglaise.
Traditionally, custard is made using milk, egg yolks and sometimes cream. However, it can be made vegan! This vegan custard recipe uses cornstarch instead of eggs as a thickener and a pinch of turmeric to give it the yellow hue that eggs typically provide. You can use plant-based milk like soy, almond, coconut or oat milk.
This plant-based custard goes well with many vegan desserts, such as apple crumble, chocolate cake, pecan pie, apple pudding or fruit tarts. You can also eat it with fresh fruit like bananas or peaches, or just eat it by itself — it’s that tasty.
You can also serve vegan custard alongside trifles or as a filling in pastries, croissants or donuts. Check out the fair trade section of your local store for fair trade sugar, vanilla and turmeric. You may also be able to find organic plant-based milk and cornstarch to further reduce your carbon footprint.
How to Make Vegan Custard
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups plant-based milk
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Add the plant-based milk, cornstarch, sugar, turmeric and vanilla into a small pan and whisk until smooth.
- Warm on medium heat and stir constantly until the liquid thickens.
- Remove from heat and keep stirring for one minute as it continues to thicken.
- Serve immediately or cool before refrigerating for up to three days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave on low, whisking vigorously to remove any lumps.
This vegan custard recipe can be transformed into a chocolate custard simply by adding ¼ cup dark chocolate pieces in step 3 and stirring until they mixed well. Omit the turmeric for chocolate custard.
- How to Grow Turmeric at Home
- Vegan Apple Pie Recipe: A Seasonal Favorite
- 9 Incredible Chocolate Brands for Vegans
Do you like this post?