Vanilla sugar is an ingredient used in many recipes. However, this product can be hard to find in supermarkets. Here are two recipes for making your own vanilla sugar.
Not to be confused with vanilla extract mixed with sugar, vanilla sugar is made from infusing vanilla bean pods with regular granulated sugar over a short period of time. Making your own vanilla sugar at home is not only easier than you think but a fun and eco-friendly way to save money and reduce waste.
Making Vanilla Sugar Using a Blender
Yield: 8-16 oz
- Vanilla bean pods (1 bean per every 2 cups of sugar)
- Regular granulated vegan sugar
- Blender/food processor
- A small sealable jar (around 8-16 oz)
- Place sugar in the blender or food processor.
- Cut vanilla bean pod in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Place them in the blender.
- Blend until the seeds are fully combined with the sugar, then pour your sugar into the jar. Add the empty bean pod into the jar for more flavor.
Feel free to use your vanilla sugar immediately or leave it for two weeks in a dry space for optimal flavor.
Tip: To reduce waste, your used vanilla pods can be precycled to make vanilla extract.
Making Vanilla Sugar Without a Blender
Yield: 1 cup
- 1-2 vanilla bean pods
- 1 cup granulated organic sugar
- 1 empty sealable jar
- Place your intact vanilla bean pods into the empty jar.
- Add one cup of sugar to the jar.
- Seal the jar tightly and leave it in a dry space for up to four weeks.
- After four weeks, your vanilla sugar should be a light brown color and ready to use!
Tip: Additional beans can be added over time to refresh and maintain the flavor of your sugar.
How to Use Vanilla Sugar
Making your own vanilla sugar is both a less wasteful choice than buying commercial sugar and can be used in a variety of ways. Here are a few of the ways you can use vanilla sugar in your home.
- Add it to your coffee and tea: Vanilla sugar has a similar taste to vanilla extract and can be a fun substitute for flavored syrups and regular sugar in your favorite fairtrade tea or coffee.
- As a base for homemade sugar scrubs: DIY sugar scrubs are an easy way to keep your skin healthy. The addition of vanilla sugar, similarly to coffee and lemon, can make for a simple & sustainable sugar scrub.
- Use it as a topping in baking: As with plain sugar, your homemade vanilla sugar can be sprinkled on top of cupcakes or muffins as a finishing touch or decoration.
- In homemade vegan ice cream: Granulated sugar is an essential ingredient in making vegan ice cream. The addition of vanilla sugar instead will give your homemade ice cream a distinctive vanilla taste without the need for extra ingredients.
- As an ingredient in cocktails: Similarly to homemade strawberry syrup, vanilla sugar can be used as an ingredient in cocktails. When dissolved in water to make syrup, your vanilla sugar syrup can give classic cocktail recipes a unique taste.
- 14 Natural Sweeteners: Are These Sugar Alternatives Really Healthy?
- Homemade Sugar Lip Scrub: An Easy DIY Recipe
- Vegan Ice Cream Cake: A Delicious Plant-Based Recipe
Do you like this post?