If you have bits of wax leftover from previous candles, why not try making scented candles instead of throwing them away? We’ll look at how to make a DIY scented candle, and how to customize the scents.
Making DIY Scented Candles: Instructions
The process for making scented candles is simple, but be careful with the hot wax! You’ll need the following:
- candle scraps
- essential oil of your choice (see more below)
- a piece of yarn made of cotton or hemp
- a glass jar, e.g. an upcycled old jam or olive jar
How to make a scented candle:
- Put all the candle scraps in an old pot.
- Place the pot in a water bath so that the scraps melt together.
- Add a few drops of the essential oil of your choice to the hot candle wax.
- While the candle scraps are melting, you can make the wick. Braid the cotton or hemp thread to make it more stable.
- Pass a toothpick or skewer through the tip of the thread and place it over the rim of the jar. This will help prevent the thread from falling into the hot wax later.
- Carefully pour the wax into the jar and let it dry — your DIY scented candle is finished!
Making scented candles at home means you get to control exactly how strong the fragrance is, and it also helps to reduce waste.
Using the Right Oils
Make your DIY scented candles smell of your favorite fragrance by adding a few drops of natural essential oil. Be careful not to use too much — just a few drops is often enough for a pleasant smell. Different essential oils are good for different things:
- Calming: lavender oil or rose oil
- Invigorating: grapefruit, ginger, or orange oil
- Bug Repelling: mix a few drops of citrus oil with eucalyptus to keep the bugs at bay
- Winter: cinnamon, apple, pine or vanilla oil conjure up images of the snowy Christmas season
Feel free to combine scents to come up with something uniquely you. Some favorite combinations include:
- rosemary and lime
- lemon and lavender
- eucalyptus and mint
Tip: DIY scented candles also make great gifts!
This article has been translated from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can find the original here: Duftkerze im Glas: Aus Kerzenresten selber machen** Links to retailers are partially affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?