For those who don’t have naturally straight hair, there are a ton of ways to straighten it that don’t require chemicals or heat treatments. Let’s take a look at how to straighten hair naturally.
The beauty industry is full of chemical treatments and products that aren’t good for you or for the environment. If you want a mane that is sleek and glossy, but don’t want to use store-bought products, you’re in luck. We’ve gathered together a handful of natural remedies to make your hair naturally straighter, though results may vary based on your hair type and texture.
Why Straighten Hair Naturally?
If you were blessed with a wavy or curly head of hair, you’ve probably been envious of those with straight tresses. While it’s easy to reach for the flat iron, you won’t be doing your hair any favors. Here are a few reasons why straightening hair naturally is the way to go:
- Hair straighteners can dry out your hair due to heat
- Heat treatments can cause frizziness and split ends
- With prolonged use, a hair straightener may weaken hair which may result in thinning and hair loss
- You might lose the natural shine, deep color, and gloss of your hair
Natural methods not only strengthen your hair follicles but also nourish your hair which can help prevent frizz and bring back that natural shine.
1. Brush With a Wide-Toothed Comb
This method can work well as a natural hair straightener, provided you have patience. You simply section off pieces of your hair and continue to brush them with a wide-toothed comb until each section is dry. Trying to straighten your hair naturally using the wide-toothed comb method works best for those who have thinner hair.
2. Natural Hair Straightener: Coconut Milk & Lime Juice
Both these natural ingredients are nourishing for the hair. The coconut milk helps to smoothen frizzy locks by conditioning the hair, while the lime juice is said to help make it straight.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice from half a lime
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Add all the ingredients together in a small saucepan on the stove. Heat briefly, then allow to cool.
- Apply the mixture to your hair. Leave in for 1 hour.
- Rinse thoroughly and then wash hair with a mild shampoo.
3. Pinning Hair Straight
In Latin America, many women use a natural hair-straightening technique called “La Toca” to tame their naturally wavy hair. For this method, blow-dry your hair with cold air or wait for it to air dry almost all of the way. Then, section it into pieces and pin it around your head using bobby pins. In the morning, remove all the pins and enjoy straight and shiny hair.
4. Aloe Vera for Straighter Hair
Using aloe vera gel can work wonders on your hair by nourishing it right down into the hair shaft. The secret to natural hair straightener is actually proper nourishment of your hair itself. An aloe vera hair mask is easy to do:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup aloe vera gel
- Stir the ingredients together, and apply the mixture evenly over your hair.
- After 30 minutes, rinse and feel the difference!
For more information, check out: How to Use Aloe Vera on Hair + Benefits & Drawbacks
5. Straightening Hair Naturally: Blow Dry on Cold
If you’re in a rush and don’t have the time for other natural hair straightening methods, this will work in a pinch. Simply give yourself a blowout using your blowdryer on the cold setting. It’s worth using a wide-tooth comb and not a round brush – otherwise, you’ll end up with a bit of a curl. By removing the heat, you don’t have to worry about damaging your hair. Just note that it will typically take a bit longer to blow dry on cold.
6. Straighten While You Sleep
Another way to straighten your hair naturally is to tie it back and sleep on it overnight. To do it properly, you’ll want to:
- wait until your hair is about 70% dry
- divide hair into one low ponytail, or two low pigtails
- add another hair elastic every inch or so – not tightly, but enough to stay on
This will help the hair keep a relatively smooth shape as it dries, resulting in naturally straighter hair.
7. Castor Oil for Naturally Straighter Hair
Castor oil is another plant-based powerhouse that will not only provides nourishment to the hair but also gives it a sleek look. Here’s how to use it as a natural hair straightener:
- Warm some castor oil and massage it into your hair.
- Wrap a warm/damp towel around your hair, and leave it to sit for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Applying castor oil to your hair on a regular basis can help lubricate the hair, which increases flexibility and makes your hair less prone to breakage.
- Olive Oil for Hair: Natural Hair-Care
- How to Thicken Hair Naturally
- 6 DIY Leave-in Conditioners With All-Natural Ingredients
Do you like this post?