By making your own clove mouthwash, you can freshen up your breath with all-natural ingredients — all while saving on plastic packaging that store-bought mouthwash often comes in.
If you’re looking for a natural rinse to freshen your breath, look no further. Cloves help fight bad bacteria in your mouth and can freshen your breath. Combine them with a few ingredients from your herb garden and you’ve got the perfect DIY mouthwash.
Clove Mouthwash: All-Natural Recipe With Whole Cloves
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp fresh mint leaves
- 9 whole cloves
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- Bring the two cups of water to a boil on the stove.
- Add the mint leaves, cloves, and rosemary and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let your DIY mouthwash cool and then store in a resealable glass bottle.
How to Use:
- Swish about a tablespoon of mouthwash in your mouth for 10-15 seconds before spitting it out.
- Use when you want to freshen your breath, and make more when necessary.
Why Do Mint, Cloves and Rosemary Make Such Good Mouthwash?
Mint or mint oil are common ingredients in toothpaste, gum and even beauty products. No wonder, as the menthol in mint makes your mouth literally feel “cold” — which is why it leaves you so refreshed. Of course, there are different types of mint plants, and they all have valuable antioxidant properties.
Cloves might not be the first thing that comes to mind when talking about mouthwash — as it usually comes to play at Christmas, like in our vegan stuffed mushroom recipe, or in our homemade pumpkin spice syrup recipe. But cloves have a lot to offer in terms of oral hygiene as well. Cloves contain eugenol, which can be used to topically treat toothaches, and is even said to have pain-killing properties.
The rosemary balances out the strong flavor of both cloves and mint. It is also believed to help dental health due to its calcium content and antimicrobial properties.
Alternatively, you can go for a clove-only mouthwash recipe, which is easiest to make by using clove essential oil. Clove essential oil itself has many benefits, one of which is its ability to kill bacteria. That makes it really useful in a homemade toothpaste, same as in a mouthwash.
Natural Mouthwash With Clove Essential Oil
- 2 cups filtered water
- 20 drops clove essential oil
Tip: check out our overview of benefits and drawbacks of close essential oil.
- Add water and essential oil to a container.
- Shake thoroughly.
Use this clove mouthwash just like the above one, up to two times a day.
- Precycling: How to Say No to Packaging Waste
- Zero Waste Toothpaste: The Growing Trend Towards No-Waste Pastes
- Homemade Deodorant: An Easy DIY Recipe
Do you like this post?