There’s no better activity than making vegan gingerbread cookies to get in the Christmas spirit. Learn how you can bake delicious gingerbread with all-vegan ingredients!
Gingerbread cookies are one of the most traditional baked goods during Christmas season. You can make them as snacks for the holidays, or even as edible ornaments for your Christmas tree. They are very tasty on their own, but you can also decorate them with frosting to make them prettier and more festive. We’re going to show you how to make easy and delicious vegan gingerbread cookies that you will want to make every Christmas season – and that will make your house smell amazing while they bake!
How to Make Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- 3 ¼ cups wholemeal flour or spelt flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. powdered ginger
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg and ground cloves (optional)
- A pinch of salt
- ¾ cup molasses (or if you can’t get it, you can use maple syrup)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ organic brown sugar
- ¾ cup vegan butter at room temperature
How to Make Vegan Gingerbread Cookies:
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients (except the sugar) until combined and set aside.
- In a different bowl, add the molasses, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and softened vegan butter, and mix everything until fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet mixture and mix until combined. Use the spatula at first, then use your hands to form a ball.
- Store the dough in a glass container and let it cool down in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out on a sheet of parchment paper or a sustainable parchment paper alternative on top of your kitchen counter. Cut the cookies directly on the parchment paper for an easy transfer to the baking tray. Make sure you leave about ½ inch between each cookie.
- Turn the oven on and bake the cookies for 30-35 minutes at 350°F. If the oven was already preheated from previously cooking something else, the baking time will be shorter (12-15 minutes).
- Remove the cookies from the oven and from the baking tray. Let them cool down completely for about 1 hour.
Servings: 3 dozen medium-sized cookies Total prep, chill, and baking time: 2 hours
How to Make the Vegan Frosting
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. almond milk
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the mix into a piping bag and start decorating your vegan gingerbread cookies!
Vegan Gingerbread Cookies: Tips & Tricks
These vegan gingerbread cookies are very easy to make, which makes it a great activity to do as a family during Christmas season. Here are a few tips and tricks for you to keep in mind:
- Baking time will vary depending on each oven, the thickness of the cookies, and how soft or crunchy you prefer them to be.
- You can store your cookies in airtight containers, preferably glass containers, for about 3 weeks.
- If you are frosting your cookies, make sure they have completely cooled down beforehand.
- As always, we recommend that you buy organic or local ingredients to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Vegan Christmas Cookies: Two Simple Recipes
- Easy Gingerbread Recipe: How to Make Homemade Gingerbread from Scratch
- 10 Sustainable Christmas Gift Wrapping Ideas: Waste Less Paper
Do you like this post?