This gingerbread recipe will put Grandma’s homemade treats to the test. No matter how you make your own homemade holiday gingerbread, chances are slices usually go pretty quick. Here’s Utopia’s own easy gingerbread recipe – enjoy!
Homemade Gingerbread: A Holiday Tradition
Nothing beats the smell of the fresh gingerbread wafting throughout the kitchen and on throughout the whole house. Ring in the holiday season with a tasty homemade baking project you can finish in under an hour. Even though we all know Grandma’s homemade gingerbread recipe will always be the best, here’s Utopia’s own take on a fresh and festive holiday favorite.
How to Make Homemade Gingerbread: The Ingredients
For this simple and easy homemade gingerbread recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (not self-rising flour)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
The ingredient quantities measured for this homemade gingerbread loaf recipe yield nine servings and are intended for baking with a square 9x9x2 inch baking pan. The prep time for this easy homemade gingerbread recipe is around 50 minutes
Utopia’s tip: Kick off the holiday baking season right with a sparkling clean oven! Conventional chemical cleaners may do the trick, but what if you had all the necessary ingredients for your own homemade oven cleaner right there in your pantry? All-natural homemade oven cleaners will leave your oven squeaky clean and save you money.
Easy Homemade Gingerbread Recipe
This homemade gingerbread loaf recipe couldn’t be easier. Just toss everything into a bowl and mix – it’s as simple as that!
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (162°C).
- Grease and flour the pan.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine all measured ingredients and blend for around 30 seconds on low speed while scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Mix for three minutes at medium speed.
- Pour into the pan. Scrape the inside of the bowl (lick the spoon if preferred).
- Bake for 50 minutes at 325°F.
- Check baking consistency with a wooden toothpick – if the pick comes out clean, your homemade gingerbread is done!
This tasty homemade gingerbread is best served warm, with whipped cream or homemade apple sauce.
Homemade Gingerbread: Recipe Variations
You want to try something new this year? Here are some tips for tasty variations:
- Use honey instead of molasses. When buying honey, always check where the product is from and whether it is fair trade.
- Sprinkle your finished gingerbread with powdered sugar. That looks good and tastes great.
- Want to save some energy? Then do not preheat the oven. If you put your gingerbread in right away, the baking time will be a few minutes longer, but the dish will turn out just as tasty.
Soft, moist, almost cake-like gingerbread is most commonly found in United States and Canada. But there are countless variations: One gingerbread recipe is traditional German Lebkuchen – the most famous gingerbread cookies across all of Europe. These German Christmas cookies are soft and moist on the inside, packed with nuts, candied fruit and flavorful spices. Plus, they’re a breeze to make from scratch. Here’s a traditional recipe: Lebkuchen Recipe: Traditional German Gingerbread Cookies
Nowhere near tired of baking? It’s never too late in the season to give this vegan apple pie recipe a try.
- Easy Bread Recipe: Simple and Quick 1 Hour Prep
- Storing Apples: Proper Apple Storage Techniques
- Golden Milk Recipe: Health Benefits of the Turmeric Latte
Do you like this post?