Christmas is around the corner, and that means it’s time for Christmas cookies. Why not try vegan Christmas cookies this year? Whether you enjoy at home or give them to friends, homemade baked goods are always a source of holiday cheer.
Whip up delicious treats in no time with these two easy vegan Christmas cookie recipes.
Vegan Linzer Christmas Cookies
Yield: about three cookie sheets
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 14 tbsp. vegan butter alternative (check out our list of the best vegan butter substitutes)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup finely ground almonds
- 5 tbsp. rice milk or almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest of half a lemon
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup jam or jelly for filling (homemade jam would be great here)
How to Prepare Vegan Linzer Cookies:
- Add flour, powdered sugar, ground almonds, vanilla extract, lemon zest and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Slowly add butter and milk substitutes (we used rice milk and organic vegan margarine) and work into a dough. Knead well.
- Cover and chill for about one hour.
- After the dough has been chilled, remove it from the fridge and knead well again.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Sprinkle flour on a cool, flat surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is 3-4 millimeters thick.
- Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut the dough into shape. Make sure the vegan Christmas cookies are large enough so that there is room to cut out one or two small holes in the middle. In half of the cookies, cut out the small holes – this is where the jam will peek through when the cookies are finished.
- Place your vegan Christmas cookies on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper and bake for about eight minutes or until they are a delicious golden brown.
- After removing them from the oven, allow the cookies to cool.
- Stir the jam until it has an even consistency and spread it onto the cookies without the holes.
- Finally, place the respective halves on top to form your vegan Christmas cookies and enjoy.
Grandma’s Vegan Sugar Cookies
Yield: about five cookie sheets
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegan butter substitute
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Juice of half a lemon
- Flour for rolling cookies
- Cookie decorations like nuts, sprinkles and icing
How to Prepare the Vegan Sugar Cookies:
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and work into a dough — it will get sticky quickly.
- Divide the dough in half, cover, and chill overnight.
- The next day, remove from the fridge and knead each half thoroughly. If the dough is still too sticky, add flour in small amounts until the consistency feels right (be careful not to add too much flour, or your vegan Christmas cookies will be crumbly later).
- Sprinkle flour on a cool, flat surface and roll out the dough until it is about four millimeters thick.
- Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut out fun Christmas shapes!
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place your vegan sugar cookies on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper and bake for about three to five minutes. Keep a close eye on your Christmas cookies to prevent burning!
- Finally, allow the cookies to cool completely and afterward, decorate them with nuts, sprinkles, icing, etc.
- Tip: To avoid breakage, be sure not to roll cookie dough too thinly. Also, don’t place cookies too close to one another on the cookie sheet, otherwise, they will stick together.
Have fun baking and enjoy your vegan Christmas cookies!
More Christmas recipe ideas:
- Lebkuchen Recipe: Traditional German Gingerbread Cookies
- Easy Gingerbread Recipe: How to Make Homemade Gingerbread from Scratch
- Vegan Apple Pie: A Seasonal Favorite
- Minimalist Christmas Tips: Enjoy a Sustainable and Stress-Free Holiday
- How to Make a Paper Christmas Star: An Easy Step-By-Step Guide
- 10 Sustainable Christmas Gift Wrapping Ideas: Waste Less Paper
Do you like this post?