Making homemade vegan “Nutella” means knowing for sure that your dessert doesn’t contain any mystery ingredients. Plus, making chocolate spreads yourself is really easy: all you need is a few simple ingredients and a powerful blender.
Nutella is arguably the most well-known brand in the world when it comes to nut spreads. However, both the high sugar content and the use of palm oil are enough to make people look elsewhere to satisfy their sweet tooth. Luckily there has been an emergence of organic chocolate spreads on the market, so you can get your chocolate fix (almost) guilt-free.
Alternatively, you can easily make homemade Nutella yourself! By making your own version, you can choose a recipe that suits you. Be sure to use high-quality organic and Fairtrade ingredients whenever you can!
Vegan Nutella Recipe
These are the ingredients you need for one large jar of vegan homemade Nutella:
- 2¾ cups organic hazelnuts (shelled)
- 7 tbsp. organic coconut oil (melted)
- 5 tbsp. organic cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. organic vanilla bean powder
- 8 tbsp. agave syrup
- 1 pinch of salt
Other ideas: use almonds instead of hazelnuts, sunflower oil instead of coconut oil, cinnamon instead of vanilla, maple syrup, or honey instead of agave syrup. There are many unique varieties you can create.
You’ll also need:
- a powerful blender that can grind hard nuts into a paste without overheating
- a kitchen scale
- one resealable sterilized jar
Homemade Nutella Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Spread the hazelnuts out on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for approximately 10 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Once roasted, peel the skins off the hazelnuts. You can easily do this by rubbing handfuls of them between your hands. It’s okay if the skins don’t come off completely.
- Grind the nuts in the blender in small batches, until only a creamy paste remains. This will be time-consuming and will require a few breaks to loosen the mass with a spoon so that everything gets ground evenly.
- Mix the hazelnut paste with the other ingredients. Feel free to add or remove ingredients according to your taste.
- Fill the finished homemade Nutella into the jar. Close the lid — and your chocolate spread is ready!
This homemade vegan Nutella should keep in the refrigerator for at least one to two months. However, it tastes best at room temperature. Tip: Stir your homemade Nutella well with a spoon every now and then.
Why Homemade Nutella is Better
Nutella is made up of only six ingredients – normally, the fewer the ingredients, the better. Unfortunately, not in this case.
The main ingredients in the original hazelnut spread are sugar and palm oil, making it bad for our bodies and for the environment. The mass production of palm oil is particularly harmful to the environment, as it comes at the cost of acre after acre of tropical rainforest ecosystems. Read more about what you can do to save the rainforest here.
Another criticism of the beloved chocolate spread is the amount of refined sugar it contains. Two tablespoons of Nutella contain 21 grams of sugar, which is the equivalent of 5 sugar cubes.
Making your own chocolate spread allows you to know exactly what goes into it and puts you in charge of what you eat.
This article has been translated from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can find the original here: Die Nutella-Alternative: Schokoaufstrich selber machenaffiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?