Looking to get into the environmental field? Check out these universities with sustainability programs that offer great resources for building your future.
Sustainability is a hot topic these days, and for good reason. As we deal with issues related to climate change, carbon emissions and resource depletion, learning about possible solutions and how to implement them is a great first step. Your future and the planet’s future may benefit from your decision to study sustainability.
Whether you’re sure you want to study sustainability or curious to know what options are available in the field, you’re in the right place. We’ve curated a list of universities with sustainability programs around the globe — dive deeper and find out more!
Interested in where else you can go with a career in sustainability? Check out 13 Exciting Careers in Environmental Science.
Universities With Sustainability Programs in the US
If you want to stick close to home, plenty of universities have sustainability programs right here in the US. Take a look at these programs. One (or more!) might align with your goals.
Washington University in St. Louis
- A four-year Bachelor in Sustainability
- Concentrations include:
- Sustainable Environment and Science
- Sustainable Management and Organizations
- Urban Sustainability
- Offers a combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree Program
- A four-year Bachelor in Environmental Science and Sustainability
- It’s the fourth environmental science and sustainability program in the US.
- All majors complete a minimum of three real-world projects for their resumes.
- An exciting course offering is their “Soil to Plate” course, which studies foods worldwide and includes weekly field trips to learn about what you and others eat, how and where food is grown, and the pros and cons of all varieties of food production.
- A four-year Bachelor of Applied Science in Sustainable Science Management
- Reap the benefits of a natural living lab for observing successes and failures in sustainability pursuits due to the closed system of the island location.
- This program focuses on human-environment interaction and bridges the gap between concept and practical application.
- A four-year Bachelor in Sustainability
- Numerous study concentrations to choose from, including:
- BA: Policy & Economy or Sustainability Management
- BSc: Agroecology, Energy or Policy
- Located near the Atlantic Ocean, this university offers plenty of opportunities to practice what you learn and get up close and personal with specific ecosystems.
For American universities with sustainability programs, the ones above are a great place to start.
Canadian Universities With Sustainability Programs
Our neighbor to the north is known for its wild, untamed nature, wide-open green spaces and abundant natural resources. What better place to study than a Canadian university with a sustainability program?
- A two-year Master’s in Sustainable Energy Technology
- This Master’s program focuses on renewable energy sources like solar, wind, geothermal and biomass.
- The university aims to operate in a completely sustainable manner by 2030. All campus activities will be carbon neutral, circular, and climate adaptive, benefiting its users and nature.
- A three-year Bachelor in Environmental Management
- This program explores how environmental science relates to regulation and economic and social dimensions of environmental policy and management.
- The university is in the top 50 in the world for environmental science and second in Australia for research output in the Earth and environmental sciences realm.
- Fieldwork and work placements are at the core of this program.
- Get the opportunity to learn from groundbreaking recycling scientist Professor Leena Sahajwalla.
Studying Sustainability in the UK
For those looking for a change of scenery that’s somewhat closer to home, studying at the United Kingdom’s universities with sustainability programs may be the adventure for you.
- A two-year Master’s in Global Environment and Sustainability
- The program director is Dr. Izabela Delabre, who has been involved in research related to the intersection of forest and biodiversity loss, as well as sustainable agriculture and supply chains.
- The core modules of this program include:
- Biodiversity, biosecurity and conservation
- Climate change and environmental hazards
- Global food systems and health
- Waste and pollution
- Water and energy resources
- A one-year Master’s in Sustainable Lands and Cities or a one-year Master’s in Circular Economy
- Part of the Edinburgh Futures Institute, a department within the University of Edinburgh dedicated to educating the pathfinders who want to make the world a better place.
- Both programs look specifically at the issues we are currently facing, with a focus on the future.
- Scotland offers a variety of ecosystems to study, ranging from coastal to highlands and bustling cities.
University of the Highlands and Islands
- A four-year Bachelor’s in Sustainable Development
- This program focuses mostly on how to implement sustainable development in rural communities.
- Many faculty members live on the Western Isles, where ¾ of the population lives on community-owned land.
- You can participate in this university sustainability program from anywhere in the world — it’s 100% online.
- Why the Difference Between Weather and Climate Matters
- What Are Our Climate Targets? And How Achievable Are They?
- 21 Must-listen Sustainability & Climate Change Podcasts
Do you like this post?