Looking for a unique and easy-to-make vegan cream cheese? This potato cheese recipe is simple, sustainable, and delicious. Read on to learn more.
Potato cream cheese is different from other vegan cream cheese options. As the name suggests, this vegan cream cheese recipe’s main ingredient is potato, unlike other vegan cream cheese recipes which use ingredients such as cashews, coconut cream, or tofu.
Although perhaps more of an obscure ingredient for making vegan cheese, potatoes have their benefits as a vegan cheese alternative. They are much cheaper compared to traditional vegan cheese ingredients such as cashews and tofu.
Potatoes are also more sustainable compared to cashew nuts, which require more water to grow and carbon emissions in transportation to reach your supermarket shelves. Potatoes on the other hand can easily be grown either from your own garden, in a bucket, or bought locally and organically from a farmers market or supermarket all year round.
Vegan Potato Cheese Recipe
This vegan potato cream cheese recipe is easy, quick, and mimics the taste, texture, and color of cream cheese.
- 1 lb. of Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 2¾ tbsp unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- Generous pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Steam the potato pieces in a streamer over a large saucepan of boiling water. Cover the saucepan and steam until tender. This should take about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a blender, add the potatoes with the milk, nutritional yeast, vinegar, and garlic. Blend until smooth. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Potato cream cheese will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, or up to a month frozen. The sauce will thicken as it sits, so may need heating up and milk added to reach desired consistency.
How to Serve Vegan Potato Cheese
Vegan potato cream cheese can be used either as a cheesy dip for tortilla chips, as a vegan pizza topping, added into a casserole, or mixed into a delicious pasta sauce. You can also spread it on buckwheat or spelt bread for a tasty snack. It is very versatile and recreates that same smooth, cheesy sauce we all know and love.
- Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes: A Simple Recipe
- To Eat or Not to Eat? How to Tell When Potatoes Are Bad
- Cashew Cream Cheese: A Vegan Alternative
Do you like this post?