Craving a slice of vegan pizza but can't think of any exciting ingredients? Here are 20 vegan pizza toppings that will inspire vegans, vegetarians and non-vegans alike!
Pizza is one of the most popular dishes in the U.S., in fact, it is estimated that a whopping 100 acres of pizza are eaten across the country, every day. If you love yourself a slice now and then and are ready to try some new ingredients, you should explore this list of 20 tasty pizza toppings. But first, learn how to make pizza dough with our quick and easy recipe.
6 Delicious Vegetable Toppings
These veggies make for healthy alternatives to many loved pizza toppings. They don’t compromise on flavor, and can add a nice pop of color to your pizza.
1. Crispy cauliflower pizza is an absolute highlight: toss the vegetable in some oil with pepper, salt, ground mustard seeds, curry, and cumin. Add spring onions, garlic, and vegan cheese.
2. Spinach works really well as a vegan pizza topping. Its flavor complements other vegetables, and pairs well with vegan feta cheese. For easy inspiration, check out our spinach and feta pizza recipe.
3. Zucchini marinated in olive oil, salt and pepper with aquafaba mozzarella.
4. Spring onions work well with many different ingredients. Simply sprinkle them on top of the pizza before baking.
5. Hokkaido pumpkin – cut into small chunks, toss in a pan with some oil and onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste then scatter across the pizza over some vegan cream cheese or tomato sauce. Make an Alsatian tart flambé with our pumpkin recipe.
6. Mushrooms – this classic topping goes well with different vegan meat substitutes, or it can be the star of your dish. Consider sautéing chicken of the woods mushrooms as a vegan pizza topper.
3 Vegan Pizza Toppings to Spice Things Up
If you like it spicy, you can mix any of these vegan pizza toppings with other ingredients.
7. Jalapeño or chilli peppers: make a good addition to our black bean or taco pizza combo described below.
8. Garlic: mince and mix into your pizza sauce along with chili flakes, and hot sauce to add an extra kick to the base layer of your pizza.
9. Red onions: make a good combination with corn, parsley, and tomatoes.
Out of the Box Vegan Pizza Toppings
You can stick any plant-based ingredient on top of a pizza and it becomes a vegan pizza topping, however some varieties don’t automatically spring to mind. For something a little out of the box, try one of the following:
10. Fresh sliced pears with walnuts, vegan cheese and arugula.
11. Red beets and apples: chop both into thin slices, add chopped walnuts and cashew creme cheese.
12. Black beans: add tomatoes, red onions and cilantro for a spicy pizza that will make you drool.
13. Baby potatoes: cut into thin slices, toss in some olive oil, salt and pepper. Scatter across the pizza dough, then add spring onions, rosemary, and thyme.
14. Chickpeas: make a unique and delicious pizza with chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, diced onions, and vegan BBQ sauce.
Vegan Toppings That Taste Like Meat
Here are three meat alternatives that you can you as vegan pizza toppings if you want to add a little extra substance to your pizza.
15. Seasoned Tofu: cut into thin slices, then briefly fry in a pan. This will complement a wide variety of other vegan pizza toppings.
16. Vegan Ground Beef: make yourself a taco pizza using vegan ground beef, refried beans, non-dairy sour cream, and plenty of vegan cheese.
17. Homemade tempeh: you can choose to season your tempeh however you want, or use it to make tempeh bacon, which is a great addition to our potato pizza described above.
3 Vegan Pizza Ingredients to Top it Off
Finally, here are three vegan pizza toppings to finish off your delectable creations:
18. Balsamic vinegar glaze: drizzle over pizza for a delicate finish.
19. Homemade pesto: is a great alternative to the classic marinara sauce. You can simply replace the cheese in the recipe with vegan parmesan.
20. Sriracha mayo: for those looking for that last bit of heat to finish off the pizza.
- Simple Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Tempeh vs. Seitan: What’s the Difference?
- Food Too Spicy? Here Are 10 Hacks For How To Fix It!
Do you like this post?