A lot of mouthwash comes in plastic bottles and uses coloring, preservatives, and other additives. By making a natural DIY mouthwash, you can avoid all of these.
Making a natural DIY mouthwash at home is really easy with these five recipe suggestions. If you’re looking for a natural rinse to freshen your breath, we’ve got you covered. Not only will these options allow you to avoid nasty chemical ingredients in commercial products, but they will also enable you to skip the packaging waste.
DIY Mouthwash: Herbal, Spice- and Plant-Based Recipes
To really cut down on plastic waste, we recommend you fill your homemade mouthwash into a reusable and sealable glass bottle. This way, it’ll be easy to clean when needed.
1. Sage mouthwash: You are probably already aware that sage tea has a lot of health benefits, while salt water can kill bacteria and reduce oral inflammation. By putting the two together, you will get a simple yet effective DIY natural mouthwash. Check out our sage mouthwash recipe.
2. Clove mouthwash: Clove is a good option to consider when making your own DIY natural mouthwash. Clove oil may aid in restricting the accumulation of bacteria in your mouth and reduce bad breath in the process. You’ll find our clove mouthwash recipe in a separate guide: fresh, or using essential oil.
3. Apple cider vinegar as a mouthwash: Apple cider vinegar will wash away a lot of the bacteria that can accumulate in between your teeth and gums. As the main ingredient of this DIY mouthwash, apple cider vinegar is ideal for reducing bad breath. Did you know you can make homemade apple cider vinegar for this recipe? Simply combine one cup of purified or distilled water with two to four tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and shake until they combine.
4. Aloe Vera Mouthwash: When used regularly, aloe vera mouthwash may help in reducing gum disease caused by oral inflammation or bacteria. Consuming aloe vera juice is another way to improve your oral health when combined with a regular dental hygiene routine.
- ½ cup of organic aloe vera juice
- ½ cup of purified or distilled water
- 1½ tsp of baking soda
- Optional: 3 to 5 drops of essential oil of your choice
- Pour all of your ingredients into a reusable glass bottle, and shake until the ingredients are well-combined and the baking soda is properly dissolved.
- Optional: Add 3-5 drops of essential oil such as eucalyptus, peppermint, or tea tree.
- Take a sip and rinse your mouth for 40 seconds before spitting out.
- Store your DIY aloe vera mouthwash in the refrigerator.
5. Peppermint & Tea Tree Essential Oil Mouthwash: This simple but effective DIY mouthwash recipe will boost your oral hygiene and keep your breath minty fresh. Tea tree oil and peppermint when combined are a natural, yet potent mix that may reduce the development of oral bacteria that can leave your breath smelly and unpleasant.
- 1 cup purified or distilled water
- 10 to 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 6 to 8 drops of tea tree essential oil
- Pour all of the ingredients into a reusable glass bottle and shake well to mix.
- Take a mouthful, and for 30 seconds or so, swish around the mixture in your mouth, gargling the mouthwash once or twice. be careful not to swallow!
- This DIY natural mouthwash can be stored at room temperature.
- DIY Makeup Remover: Five All-Natural Recipes
- 7 Natural DIY Facial Toners for Different Skin Types
- Mouth Sore Remedies: 4 Natural Ways to Cure a Canker Sore
Do you like this post?