There are many natural home remedies for a sore throat. We’ll show you how to relieve throat pain naturally – without pills or other kinds of medicine.
Medicine might ease the symptoms of a sore throat, but it won’t help you recover more quickly. Natural remedies for sore throat can be just as effective at bringing you relief as over-the-counter cold medicine.
Warning: If you have unusual intense or long-lasting pain or symptoms such as inflamed tonsils, fever over 102°F, difficulty breathing or swollen lymph nodes, seek immediate medical assistance.
1. Tea and Relaxation Against Sore Throats
Throat pain often comes along with a cold. So many natural remedies for colds also apply to sore throats: Stay in bed for at least two days and be sure to get plenty of sleep. Stay warm and avoid speaking for too long or too loudly. If you are a smoker, you should stay away from cigarettes for at least one day.
Apple cider vinegar is another common natural remedy for sore throats. Add one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and salt to warm water and gargle for thirty seconds two to three times a day.
3. Potato Wrap for Sore Throats
Never heard of this one? A potato wrap is one of the oldest home remedies for throat pain. It keeps the throat warm and is said to promote circulation and relieve pain. Here’s what to do:
- Boil two to four potatoes in a large pot for about 20 minutes, or until soft.
- Spread out a linen cloth on a flat surface.
- Pour cold water on the cooked potatoes and lay them in the middle of the loth.
- Fold the cloth over the potatoes and crush them carefully. Be careful not to burn your fingers!
- Let the potato wrap cool down for a few minutes. Keep testing with your hands until the temperature becomes comfortable.
- Use another linen cloth to fasten the potato wrap to your neck.
Keep the potato wrap on for up to one hour. After you have removed it, be sure to rest for at least fifteen more minutes. This way, the natural remedy for sore throats is most effective.
4. Onion Juice for Throat Pain
Another classic natural remedy for sore throats is onion juice.
How you prepare it:
- Peel and slice one large onion.
- Lay the slices in a glass jar and sprinkle one teaspoon of sugar on top.
- Close the glass and let sit overnight.
- Take one to two teaspoons of onion juice several times a day.
5. Inhaling for a Sore Throat
Throat pain is often accompanied by congestion. Aromatherapy can help clear your sinuses and is said to reduce inflammation.
Here’s how this natural remedy for sore throats works:
- Carefully pour boiling water into a large pot or bowl until it is halfway full.
- Add herbs like chamomile, sage, or thyme to the water. Don’t have any of those at home? Try adding one gram of salt per 100 milliliters of water instead. Essential oils like eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil will also do the trick.
- Allow to steep for about ten minutes.
- Position yourself above the bowl and place a towel over your head, so that the steam can’t escape.
- Inhale through your nose and through your mouth for five to ten minutes.
6. A Nutrient-Dense Diet
Eat nutrient-dense foods to strengthen your immune system and recover as quickly as possible. Oranges are particularly high in vitamin C. They can help you to relieve a sore throat. How you eat them, does not matter: Snack fresh fruit directly or use it to make tea.
Another natural remedy: Try eating milder foods to soothe your sore throat. Anything high in sugar or very spicy is taboo. Instead, make a vegetable broth, sugar-free applesauce or oatmeal with bananas.
7. Staying Warm
Keep your body warm so your weakened immune system does not habe to work any harder. Your throat and chest areas are especially important. Wear a scarf and warm clothes and tuck yourself into bed with a hot-water bottle.
- The Benefits of Ginger Tea: How to Make a Healthy Infusion
- Homemade Cough Syrup: An Onion Juice and Honey Natural Cough Remedy
- Headache Home Remedies that Really Work
This text was translated and adapted from German into English by Christie Sacco. You can view the original here: Hausmittel gegen Halsschmerzen: Das hilft gegen den Schmerzaffiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?